I have been rather shy than being hostile and have wondered how such an attitude can be changed. Because, indulging in such office activities will not only bring us closer to our colleagues but also increase our work satisfaction. I have some findings which can help you bring you and your colleagues out of their shell.
I remember a friend once telling me that someone opined to her that I was negative and people wanted to stay away from me.
This has been haunting me since then. I didn't know that people think of me that way. And often wondered how to get rid of that tag.
Similarly wanted to find out ways to identify such people and lend a helping hand to them. Here's what I found.
- Listen to the employee or the co worker's complaints till you feel that he/she feels heard out or listened to. Because most of the times negative statements are repeated over and over when they feel that its not been conveyed. Make sure you have actively listened to them by convincing them with clarification questions.
- If you believe an employee has legitimate reasons for negativity, offer to help them solve their issue. Advise them and provide them with coherent ideas.
- At times people just want to speak out to friendly ears and may not want an advice or idea. In such situations listen, but set limits and make them understand that such consistent negativity would not only affect you but also the person creating it. And it would affect not only their productivity but also their reputation among peers and associates. This would not only warn them of their over doing might also enhance their trust in you thus even drop in a positiveness through your concern.
- If you believe the negativity is unwanted do not spend time listening it will only encourage long term negative feelings.
- Making them feel more comfortable and less challenged will also help them reduce the negative attitude.
- Informing the HR department or the superior, so that they can understand the root cause of the negativity and help the person solve the issue.
These are some of the simple things I could come across. Please feel free to express your comments and share more ideas to this.